|Wakefield, Mass, 1967/11/03|
Support our men in Vietnam rally draws 25,000, organized by teenager in town
|Walk Out. Hungarian puppets Quit UN Assembly, 1956/12/13|
(1) UN General Assembly, Hungarian foreign minister walks out (2) satellite prepared for outer space, model of 72-ft rocket (3) Hungarian refugees arrive in San Francisco for resettlement (4) preview of film "Battle Hymn" story of Dean Hess, played by Rock Hudson (5) Ike golfing at Augusta National with Canadian PM (partial newsreel).
|War in Egypt. British and French Bomb Its Key Cities, 1956/11/01|
(1) Suez Canal and Nasser pictures; French troops embark from Marseilles; naval forces in eastern Mediterraean, British bombers attack; Ike and Dulles at White House; Ike speaks, wants it brought before the UN General Assembly; quick pics of UN and Mideast (2) "Hungary Free But Faces Threat Of New Red Invasion" - the end of a 6-day fight, Hungary was free, scenes of Budapest; funeral (3) student demonstrators in Rome in support of Hungary, battles between students and police (4) Texas rangers ge...
Downloads: 4,526 (1 review)
|War News--All Good, 1944/05/22|
(1) War News--All Good "Modern Yank Artillery In Italy, enemy positions are plotted out in checkerboard style, then pattern barrages are laid down, in which each gun destroys its particular target square. Eisenhower with the 9th In England, General Eisenhower accompanied by Lt. Gen. Spaatz and Lt. Gen. Brereton, inspects the U.S. 9th Air Force. From the cockpit of a fighter plan he fires the wing guns exubertantly, then he watches Marauder formations take off for invasion objectives...
|War or Peace? 1950 Fateful Year, 1950/12/21|
1) Nationalist China seated in UN, Malek departed, absent when Korean War began (2) "Communism" - Berlin, France, Japan, Union Square in New York, spy Gubitchev deported (3) "Korea Invaded" - MacArthur, savage war of attrition on narrow beachhead, scores died, atrocities, rapidly narrowing perimeter, but 12 nations rallied, led by Canada, Inchon landing, air cover of B-29s dropping bombs, allies pushed north, "then, it happened" and UN armies forced into retreat, paid heavily in casualties, Chos...
|Washington DC, 1940/05/13|
"Washington DC: Strongly condemning the Nazi invasion of Holland and Belgium, President Roosevelt tells the 8th American Scientific Congress that the Americas are shocked and angered by Hitler's newest attack!" (only sound of FDR speech) (2) "Washington, DC: Reverberations of the 'Blitz-krieg' stir America! Envoys of Belgium and Holland say their nations will resist to the last! State Dept. and Cabinet officials call at the White House to discuss U...
|We Blast Truk, Jap Fortress, 1944/03/30|
The U.S. Navy makes history as a huge task force assembles to attack the highly publicized 'impregnable fortress of Truk.' Planes zoom from expansive carrier decks, and before long, Truk is observed, stretched out below like a diagram on a drafting table. Cocky Jap interceptors bear in for the attack, and they are blown out of the skies, by uncanny machine gun fire, and clouds of rising anti-aircraft fire...
|Weather Eye. Vanguard II Satellite Scans Sky From Space, 1959/02/19|
Vanguard II satellite placed in nose cone of rocket, launched (partial newsreel, brief silence at start of story).
|Welles Off To Panama, 1939/09/18|
"Brooklyn, NY: The Underscretary of State sails on the SS Santa Clara, with others in the American delegation to attend the 21-Nation conference at Panama on hemispheric solidarity and neutrality action in the new war." (sound of Sumner Welles speaking in the partial newsreel without narration)
|West Coast Hails First World Series, 1959/10/05|
Los Angeles Coliseum (glitch) - White Sox vs LA Dodgers in first baseball World's Series on West Coast (partial newsreel).
|West Front Activities, 1945/03/08|
(1) Combat scenes (some sound missing) 2 planes crash on icy runway in snow, flooded rivers, muddy roads, infantry clear rubble-strewn streets, German prisoners. (partial newsreel)
|West Point Graduation, 1947/06/05|
(1) "West Point NY: Colorful scenes of graduation exercises for 310 new 'Shavetails,' and full-dress review by the entire Cadet corps. Gen. Eisenhower and other celebrities take part in the commencement program. Grid stalwarts Davis and Blanchard receive degrees." (2) Caterpillar Landing Gear - "Wright Field, Ohio: Tractor-type landing gear, developed by the Army for quick air transport to unpaved fields, is tested...
7/5/54 California - An intensive "wetback" round-up is the latest episode in the Immigration Department's incessant battle against migrant laborers who illegally ford the Rio Grande to work in the rich farm land around Stockton. Volume 27 Number 584
Downloads: 4,336 (2 reviews)
|White Sands NM V-2 rocket, 1946/11/21|
White Sands NM V-2 rocket with camera makes film of earth as rocket rises and spins, 65 miles down, shows curvature of earth, "An observer in the rocket could have seen San Diego, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, and San Antonio" (partial newsreel).
|Whites Flee. Newly Independent Congo In Upheaval, 1960/07/11|
Violence and chaos in Congo barely 11 days after independence from Belgian, white refugees flee (2) USS Thresher SS-593 attack sub launched
|Wilenz Sure Of Convicting Hauptmann, 1935/01/28|
"Flemington, NJ: The Attorney-General declares himself satisfied that the state's completed case will result in the conviction of Hauptmann as the kidnapper and murdered of Lindbergh's son." - sound of prosecuter saying he has rested its case; newsreel ending. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 935 (1 review)
|Winter Push To Knock Out German Reich,1944/12/14|
(1) "Pushing Back the Nazis - Allied ships enter the port of Antwerp carrying valuable war materiel...Gen. Eisenhower visits Gen. Montgomery and inspects the British 2nd Army...The Allies are confronted with the Mans River which is swollen seven times its normal size...elsewhere snow and mud provide obstacles...American rifles, machine guns and artillery are constantly in action...Allied wounded are many...and 5,000 Nazis are taken prisoner." scenes of Antwerp cleared and now open; Ike and Montg...
|World of Sports, 1938/06/22|
"New York, NY: Louis and Schmeling weigh in before a big crowd at Madison Square Garden on the eve of their sensational one-round fight in which the Brown Bomber knocked the challenger down repeatedly until the bout was stopped." scenes of Joe Louis and Max Schmeling at weight check for boxing match. (some sound, but Louis does not speak in this partial newsreel without narration)
|World Parley Gets Down To Business, 1945/04/30|
(1) [starts with no sound, then sound for Stettinius, Molotov, other speakers, but then silent] "San Francisco, Calif., In plenary session the leaders of the various delegations address the United Nations conclave. U.S. Secretary of State Stettinius speaks for the U.S. He is followed by Foreign Commissar Molotov of Russia and T. V. Soong, Foreign Minister of China. The leaders of the Big Four, elected to the presidium, then preside in rotation...
|World Shocked. Reds Threaten H-Bomb Tests, 1961/08/31|
H-bomb explosion from stock footage, Adlai Stevenson speaks from UN, announcement is a "profound shock" and is "a dangerous tack" (partial newsreel).
|World-Wide News Events, 1938/04/04|
FDR Sees Homestead Project - "Pine Mountain Valley, Georgia: The President wishes some 'scoffers' at Government aid to agriculture could share his inspection of the Pine Mountain Valley Homestead, built to aid sharecroppers." FDR arrives in car at Homestead, sound of FDR speech from car, facing away from camera toward crowd (no pictures of the Homestead project in this partial newsreel)
|World-Wide News Events, 1938/04/20|
FDR Pleads For Democracy - "Washington, DC: Asking for important new appropriations for the relief of unemployment, the President points out that Democracy has disappeared in many countries because of weak, confused Government." scenes of FDR speaking Fireside Chat #12. (partial newsreel)
|World-Wide News Events, 1938/06/27|
"Washington, DC: In his 13th 'Fireside Chat,' President Roosevelt denies that he, as President, will enter the primary fight, but asserts his right as party Chief to speak in defense of the liberal Democratic platiform." scenes of FDR speaking Fireside Chat #13. (partial newsreel)
|World-Wide News Events, 1938/07/06|
"Burbank, CA: Howard Hughes, wealthy aviator, takes off for New York in his 'round the world' plane. New York, NY: A big crowd welcomes the sportsman pilot when he flies in from the Coast." some sound when Hughes briefly speaks. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 2,871 (1 review)